RAWALPINDI: The New Zealand cricket team will leave for Dubai after cancelling the tour.
According to the details, the team will leave for the UAE en route New Zealand by a chartered plane.
On Friday, New Zealand cancelled the ODI series against Pakistan on the pretext of ‘security threats’.
New Zealand Cricket confirmed the tour had been called off, just as the first one-day international was set to get underway in Rawalpindi on Friday at 9.30 pm (NZT).
In a statement, NZC said arrangements were being made for the team’s departure.
NZC chief executive David White said it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving.
“I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”
Pakistan’s Cricket Board said in a statement: “Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” reads the press release.
“Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan prime minister spoke personally to the prime minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” it added.
The PCB said that the security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan government throughout their stay here.
“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal,” stated the PCB.