LAHORE: The Federal Review Board has rejected an application moved by the Punjab government to extend the detention of Hafiz Saad Rizvi, the leader of proscribed Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan (TLP).
While rejecting the Punjab government’s application based on withdrawal, the Federal Review Board has ordered the provincial authorities to release Hafiz Saad Rizvi if he is not guilty in any other case.
The three-member Federal Review, led by Supreme Court’s judge Justice Maqbool Baqir, held the hearing via video link at the apex court’s Lahore Registry on Saturday.
The board maintained that on what ground the Punjab government was demanding extension when the High Court had declared the detention null and void.
Earlier, Justice Tariq Saleem Sheikh of Lahore High Court on Wednesday sought a report from the Punjab government on the non-release of Hafiz Saad Rizvi, the leader of proscribed Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan (TLP).
Rizvi’s parental uncle Ameer Hussain filed a habeas corpus petition, saying the Lahore High Court had set aside the second detention order against Saad Rizvi on October 1 and directed the government to release him if not required in any case but he was not released. The petitioner through counsel argued that the government instead of releasing Rizvi got his detention extended through a federal review board. He said the act of the government was contempt of the court and the detention of Rizvi was illegal.
To a court query, the provincial law officer said no appeal had been preferred against Oct 1st order. He sought time for a week to seek instruction and submit the report on Saad non-release.
The court, however, turned down his request and adjourned the hearing till October 8. Saad was detained after his organisation (TLP) staged sit-ins across the country demanding the government to expel the ambassador of France in the wake of blasphemous cartoons